How to Remove Muck from Your Lake

You live next to a lake so that you and your family can enjoy it. Muck interferes with that. There are a lot of muck removal options out there that range in price, effort, and effectiveness. In this post, we will look at the most common options and evaluate them.

Lake Muck Rake
As the name indicates, it is a rake. Theoretically, the rake pulls all the muck out from the lake bottom. Muck is not light; and it is not solid. Assuming that you get a rake-full of muck out of the water, It is virtually impossible to get it into a trash container. Remember you need to be in the water as well when you rake the muck. Keeping your footing in the muck itself is a challenge and the work can feel like an exercise in futility since it’s hard to notice if you are making any progress. Once you get the muck out of the water, you will need to deal with the mess on your lawn. The only real positive thing about the Lake Muck Rake is it’s price. Rakes range from $40 to $100. Given the massive effort and minimal effectiveness however, the Lake Muck Rake is not recommended.

Lake Muck Shovel
The idea is as basic as it gets: shovel the muck out. Lake Muck Shovels have holes that allow the water to pass through them, so it works a bit like a sieve. Just like the lake muck rake, this is back-breaking work done while you’re standing in the muck itself. With each shovel full, you will need to walk back to shore and dump it at a predetermined location. Progress is slow and hard. It’s also just as messy as the muck rake. Prices range between $50 to $100. This method is marginally more effective than the Lake Muck Rake, though it, too, is not recommended.

Lake Muck Pellets or Tablets
Lake Muck Pellets are packed with bacteria that breaks down organic material like leaves, fish remains or dead weeds. It’s not very expensive. So it might seem like the ideal solution. However, is only about 10% organic. The other 90% is dirt, clay, and silt. A solution designed to deal with only 10% of the problem isn’t much of a solution. We strongly recommend that you forego Lake Muck Pellets.

Lake Muck Roller
Lake Muck Rollers are machines that function similar to a weed roller. Agitating the bottom of the lake disrupts the soil making it difficult for vegetation to grow. It does work to interrupt vegetation growth as long as you’re dealing with less than a foot of muck. If the muck on the bottom of your lake is deeper, it is much less effective. There are drawbacks to this method. First, you have to connect the Lake Muck Roller to an electric line. So you will have to get a cable running from your home to the edge of the water. Second, it runs continuously so it can present a hazard to swimmers or others in water. This problem is particularly critical if you have small children, or guests unfamiliar with the device. Finally, the muck that is removed from the area just gets displaced to the outer edges. The price of this option is usually around $1500 to $4000. This method might be the right choice for you; it would be wise to consult the professionals at EcoWaterways who can speak to your particular situation.

Lake Muck Dredging
Lake Muck Dredging needs to be done by a company specializing in this method. It requires significant preparation, careful execution, and ongoing maintenance. It is effective, especially if you work with the professionals to maintain the area going forward. Lake Muck Dredging is expensive, though it’s benefits are immediate and can be long-lasting.

The problem with dredging, apart from permitting, is that heavy equipment has to be brought to the shoreline or launched. This can damage vegetation and animal life at the water/land boundary, and contribute to erosion. Compared with vacuum methods, it is also more disturbing to the ecosystem.

Lake Muck Removal Pumps or Vacuums
The Lake Muck Removal Pump works like a vacuum. The idea is to suck up the muck and transfer it elsewhere. Where? That’s up to you. Companies that provide this service can usually move it 2 thousand feet. Or gardening or landscaping companies may be interested in acquiring this fertile soil once it’s dried out. This method really works, and is less invasive than dredging per se. Also, whereas dredging can puncture the clay layer that often seals a pond or other smaller body of water, pumping won’t.

With ponds on private property, there’s usually no requirement to obtain a permit, though when you’re dealing with a lake, there are governmental regulations to be aware of and adhere to. The experts at EcoWaterways know and understand the particular regulations in place in Wisconsin and Illinois. EcoWaterways also provides Diver Assisted Suction Harvesting to ensure the greatest effectiveness possible.